Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Whoops. (Data loss, rollback)

First and foremost, I would like to apologize for this rather inconveniently timed event.
    We had a 'bit' of an incident with our previous server provider and a lot of data was lost.

Basically, we had been using a vacant server to host the site and server for the last year, nobody was using it.
    It had been prepaid from Jan 7'th 2016 > Jan 7'th 2017.
    The people that owned the server decided to close down some of their servers preemptively before the new year.
    Sadly, they forgot to tell me.
    I had intended to download everything and get it moved to a new server around now, but it was too late.
    As a result, the latest backup I had is from 8/20.

This is really upsetting because not only did we lose the thread with all that info, we lost anything that anyone has made on GLD for the last 4 months.
    I'm terribly sorry if anyone has lost anything as a result of this incident.
    It could have been prevented by taking more regular backups, but I didn't because GLD wasn't really doing much since then.

Rest assured, the new server will still be going forward, and all of the advice that was put down is ingrained in my mind and heart.
    Anyone that has lost anything will be compensated somehow on the new server, we'll help you in any way to get your old structures back, whether that be creative/worldedit/etc.

With that said, if anyone does still have screenshots/messages from the old thread, re-posting them here would be much appreciated.
    The new server will have an automated backup system that will backup everything ideally once a day.

I'm not sure putting up a 4 month old backup of the current GLD would do anyone good if we're just going to make a new server shortly after.
    So if anything, this has forced things to proceed a bit sooner than expected.

---

We have a discord now!
    It's quite unlikely that discord will be as careless as I was, so feel free to join and chat it up there.

https://discord.gg/fTpGRPu

(Incase you have no idea what was going on before, basically we're going to relaunch the first version of GLD to as close as it was before, there was a 10 page thread with a lot of input and a large poll.)

Want to test this signature out? I made it! Unique to GLD.
    It will automatically update when we make changes to it!

Add this to your sig:
    [ img]http://gld.bz/s/myusername[/img ]
    (Replace myusername with your username, and remove spaces in the [img ] tags!)

Feel free to use it anywhere else you may have a forum account!

Sand Lover Nomad
    I'll be coming when that happens

Dune Wanderer Desert Sage
    That really sucks because i actually did quite a lot in the last week or so of the server. Lost all my builds and since thats all i like doing i lost a lot BUT we did end up getting to have our Christmas / Holiday celebration so thanks to everyone who contributed and joined us.

Thank you for all your hard work and ill be looking forward to the new server.

oh dear..at least we got the christmas celebration out of the way in time but that means all the decorations and gifts are gone..along with a few other things. not things that cant be replaced but a loss none the less. hopefully things get sorted soon

Kinda sad that so much is gone; although like Batzee implied there exist some that can be replaced. Those some actually make up most of what was lost.

It is nice that we were able to celebrate Christmas before the reset. The event to me was more about the celebration itself than the gifts. I have never had one on Minecraft before and it is nice to be able to say I've had that experience now.

What is a bummer though is my collection of books and banners is gone. Those artefacts had survived multiple server resets and had been passed down through the generations. I even had a few alpha blocks (glitch blocks that had been removed from minecraft) which can never be re-obtained.

However, I think a lot of us will still play after this so long as enough is moved over.

(As a suggestion; allow map downloads on the server this time :S I tried to make a few of them but the server always kicked me. This way players could download their memories and keep them forever)

Edit: Why do I have the rank "worthless spammer near my profile?..
    Last edited by Bob_Oats; 12-29-2016 at 01:08 AM.

At this point, this feels something like when you hit a deer, then back over it again and again, its hilarious in a fuck up way. Seriously though, it is a bummer that this happened. However, given they closed the server a few weeks early, is it possible that the company will give any compensation for the early closing and loss of data?
    Last edited by whiteoak123; 12-29-2016 at 08:54 AM.

Blog Entries
    I'm glad you all seem to be pretty forgiving, cause I would be pretty upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Oats View Post
    Kinda sad that so much is gone; although like Batzee implied there exist some that can be replaced. Those some actually make up most of what was lost.

It is nice that we were able to celebrate Christmas before the reset. The event to me was more about the celebration itself than the gifts. I have never had one on Minecraft before and it is nice to be able to say I've had that experience now.

What is a bummer though is my collection of books and banners is gone. Those artefacts had survived multiple server resets and had been passed down through the generations. I even had a few alpha blocks (glitch blocks that had been removed from minecraft) which can never be re-obtained.

However, I think a lot of us will still play after this so long as enough is moved over.

(As a suggestion; allow map downloads on the server this time :S I tried to make a few of them but the server always kicked me. This way players could download their memories and keep them forever)

Edit: Why do I have the rank "worthless spammer near my profile?..
    If you can get anything from a 4 month old backup, let me know and I'll put that up so we can get stuff from it.
    Wouldn't want to have priceless artifacts completely lost!
    And the worthless spammer thing is something from ye olden days, since the site got rolled back, you only have 1 post apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteoak123 View Post
    At this point, this feels something like when you hit a deer, then back over it again and again, its hilarious in a fuck up way. Seriously though, it is a bummer that this happened. However, given they closed the server a few weeks early, is it possible that the company will give any compensation for the early closing and loss of data?
    They really should, I've tried calling on their behalf to the UK office, but there's not much I can do since I don't own the account.
    And the people that cancelled early just kinda shrugged off when I told them they fucked me over, so not much leverage there.

Want to test this signature out? I made it! Unique to GLD.
    It will automatically update when we make changes to it!

Add this to your sig:
    [ img]http://gld.bz/s/myusername[/img ]
    (Replace myusername with your username, and remove spaces in the [img ] tags!)

Feel free to use it anywhere else you may have a forum account!

This is sad hopefully the new GLD will be good.

Dune Wanderer Desert Sage
    Hows the new server looking? Is there an estimated time frame that it will launch?

Well it will be fun rebuilding the town Also I agree with bob on the world edit thing cause I tried to download the map but it kicked me and we might have had a download of the map and we can download the map if we build stuff
    Last edited by anthonycolin; 12-29-2016 at 08:14 PM.

Thread Information