Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Honorary Forum Member Ancient Sage BassFreerunning's Avatar

How to avoid getting scammed [2.0] - GLD Noob Guide

So I saw amichael428's thread like this, so I decided to re-write it, with better grammar and more detail...

1. Type /res [Player] to see the amount of money they have. Do not trust townless noobs, they are the ones that are most likely to try to scam you.
    2. Ask a donator to tpa to the player you're interacting with and see if they have the intention to killing the donator. Donators can always fly away, tp in md, or tp in god.
    3. As an extreme precaution (Extremely suspicous player), ask player with the rank of supermod+ to ./invsee the player you're interacting with to see if they have the specified item.
    4. Trade at a safe, but secert place. Like somewhere hidden in spawn, or ./warp mobarena, or even better ./warp airship. Anywhere with no players and pvp disabled is a good place to make the exchange.
    5. Look at what type of armor the person you're interacting with is wearing. If they're wearing homeless armour, then it is most likely a scammer. Homeless armor = Leather
    6. If they tp you into their place, check it out. If they only have 1 chest and a dirt floor, they're probably a scammer.
    7. Trust donators more than non-donators. Donators have much more to lose when banned.
    8. If the person you're interacting with is premium and up. Ask to trade at their protected land.
    9. Use common sense.
    10. If you are purchasing a rank from a non-donator via giving them items. You are most likely (99.99%) of getting scammed.
    11. If you want someone to buy you a package, have a MOD watch over you, they can see messages and watch the whole deal. If something goes bad, they know the proper punishment.

Note: More will be added to this as time goes on.

GLDesert Tutorial: How not to be a Noob.

1. No lighting people on fire with Flint and Steel (or lava). Yeah, I know this is already in the rules, but it bears restating here. Way too many noobs do it- I dare say it's one of the defining characteristics of a noob on this server.

2. Those diamond guys outside the spawn border are usually doing stuff among themselves. They're also usually better equipped (by far) than you, and better skilled than you. This means that trying to fight them will end with you dying and losing all your crap.

3. If you die and lose all your crap- or if you're about to die of hunger, you can type /kit starter (once every 30 minutes) to get a starter kit.

4. This is a Grief Legal server. When your stuff gets broken into, take it like a man, Don't whine in chat about how woe you are and how so and so should pay for their 'crimes'.

5. The TPA scam. You may or may not be aware that the server runs the Teleport/accept/deny command group, enabling one player to request to teleport to another. What need be aware of, however, is that many players will attempt to get you to teleport to them for the express purpose of murdering you.

Trust no one you don't already know- when someone says "Free diamonds/party/epic loot, TPA to me!" in chat (or if they say "/warp pvpgood for free blah blah blah" these people are (usually) lying. They really want to kill you, and they're generally standing on top of a giant single block high tower, waiting for you to spawn and fall off to your doom.

6. You may decide that hey, this sounds like an awesome idea for getting some good loot, maybe you should totally do it: Don't do it. It's covered under our rule against spawn killing, and is a jailable offense.

7. Simple is often best. You think you're being clever, putting a sandstone block over a ladder tube at the bottom of a puddle, hiding the entrance to your base. But what you don't realize is that the greater the lengths you go to hide your base, the more obvious it is to people that something of value is being hidden.

Often the best way to hide a base is to dig down until you hit sandstone, plop your crap done (including your bed, which you should right click on to set your home), and then cover the entire affair with sand. No sandstone. No torches. No open space for cheaters to look into .

Hit the F3 key and record the coordinates. Then you can know where your stuff is- and when you need it, you can dig it up.

You may also want to put your stuff right out at the border of the map- where you can't go any further. But to be honest, this isn't the best idea. While putting stuff within three hundred squares of the border is workable, the fifty or so squares to the boarder should be off limits.

Why? Because raiders canvas the absolute border, knowing as they know that noobs like yourself will probably set up camp there, secure in their illusion that nobody will find them out there.

But for a raid base, it's far easier to just spend a couple hours walking around the map border searching for obvious (and not so obvious) base indications, than it is to range the 300 square band inwards from the border.

8. TPA spam is bad. You may get killed by some bloke or bint and think "Hey, I can /tpa to them a bunch of times and they'll accept and I can kill them and get my stuff back. Don't. It's annoying, and they can either ignore you or type /tpdeny. In either of these situations, you shouldn't decide to spam it until they accept- for one? It's annoying as all hell. For two? If you're relying on tpaing to the dude who took your st uff, you're probably going to lose even if he or she lets you tp in.

9. People will probably tell you to type /killcow, or /killping, or even just /kill. If you do, you'll die. So don't do it.

Not for all the long time players on the server.
    For the newbies on the forums.
    Last edited by BassFreerunning; 11-30-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Also a good point to add is if you are purchasing a rank %99.999 chance you will be scammed if it is a non-donator trading you(Buying it for you).

Added

Also the donor must be like Dark Lord or Dark King first, because they would rather buy a rank for them then you
    They see me coming, I be [COLOR="#FF0000"]slaying/COLOR]

Really helpful thread, good job.
    GFaller [Demise][SnailVale] [Enforcer] Footontable

Quote Originally Posted by NovaDragoon View Post
    *Laughs out loud* *Chokes on metal that I chewed in rage*

Desert Drama Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by Footontable View Post
    Really helpful thread, good job.
    Thanks for the better version foot lol just show me up( omg make a book like this and put in in kit stater )

Desert Drama Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by amichael428 View Post
    Thanks for the better version foot lol just show me up( omg make a book like this and put in in kit stater )
    I mean bass lol

Well I read your's and thought it was really cool, but a bit hard to understand. So I wrote this.

***** Ancient Sage
    Blog Entries
    Ill suggest the idea. nice post you 2!

Bass for Mod
    He catches hackers. He helps us aswell
    They see me coming, I be [COLOR="#FF0000"]slaying/COLOR]

Thread Information