7 46.67%
  • It's Good

7 46.67%
  • Indifferent

1 6.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sand Lover Nomad

Chat Violations/rules

Hi, I've recently picked up on playing on Gldesert again, and I noticed this terribly counterproductive chat violation rule had been put in place since I had left, Now In all the time that I've played on Gl-Desert, I've seen it change quite a lot, mostly for the better, some for the worse, and this is defnitely for the worse.
    This rule servers no true purpose, as the people who break the chat vio. rule the most are ironically the ones you're trying to keep from seeing these words/context-Children, and young teens.
    It's so easy to let one comment slip, Honestly I can't even say G*y(non sexual context, non offensive) without everyone, I mean almost everyone spams Chat Vio! Chat Vio!.
    I've also been told that I can still swear and say all sorts of things, but let's be honest, you can't say anything anymore, I can't say F--- anymore, because we all know that can be used Sexually.
    I could go on, and on, this rule is truly stupid and I think it actually may send players away, I've always viewed Gld as a hardcore towny server, not a server that I can't even swear on, without getting jailed or getting spammed by like 5 different people, who probably don't care that you swore, but want to enforce a rule for no reason.
    I'm extremely fed up with this rule, I think others are also.
    I'm not going against any staff, or anyone in particular, So I'm not trying to start a riot or anything, but Let's just see,
    Who thinks these rules are justifiable, and necessary?!
    Last edited by PurpleJuiceman; 01-09-2014 at 08:12 PM.

Honorary Forum Member Ancient Sage
    Very much agree, some of the words you can't use are absolutely stupid. I can say "fuck" all day long, but the second I say the word "dick" everyone flips their shit. I can understand why you can't be racist, but some of this is just plain silly.

And I think most of you agree.

Why are people so mad about not being allowed to use potentially offensive words like gay for example, what if someone playing right now was actually gay and they personally take it into offense if someone would say that, that's just an example.

It's sad that people want to say things like gay so much that they make a forum post complaining about it. I think these rules are completely fine and that you shouldn't have the real need to be swearing all that much on GLD..

As far as I know "fuck" isn't a chat vio.

It also comes into place where Minecraft is a childrens game, their will be 9 year olds, maybe even 8 year olds on GLD playing and if they were to see words like "gay, f*ggot, t*ts" then they might pick that up, go ask their parents what that means, tell that to their teachers, etc.

All in all, it's your fault if you're just going to post a chat vio in chat, already knowing about these rules.

(Edit) This is just my opinion on the rules, don't want any negativity towards what I think about it.
    Last edited by Jeremy9600; 01-10-2014 at 12:43 AM.

Blog Entries
    It is a great idea and hope it is a rule for all of gldesert life because in the old server there was lost of rasisit and the word gay was thrown around like it was an everyday word.
    And it's not a problem, just don't use them or don't get mad or use altenate not so derogotry terms if you have too but limit them and do t use them excessively.

But on another note I have noticed everone haveing a little rage after death or just fighting woth others in chat and I tyres to make them stop and calm down the chat but people just swor at me so I left to have a break and plea ya nice game of Brits my thing which can be frustrating but I managed.
    So I think we need more enforcement on rage and fighting in chat.

Anyway purple just don't use the words. Period
    A tip- read what you've said twice after typing it and think, now is this really appropriate or am I going over the top and then check if there are any chat vios in it.

Tjhod7
    Last edited by The Tjhod7; 01-10-2014 at 01:18 AM.
    "Death, it's a path we all must take to complete our lives"
    [UniCorn] Tjhod

In response to Jeremy, I'm not gay so I wouldnt really understand but if somebody said "That's Gay", Its not mean, or directed at anybody gay. Who actually knows anybody who is gay on gld? Nobody does, of course there may be gay people on gld but whenever the chat vio "gay" comes up, do they really take any offense to it? And for what you said about how little kids will tell their mommys daddys and overweight teachers "what does faggot tits and gay mean?" Isn't that the same as saying "What does fuck and shit mean?" Come on... I agree with the chat violation rule to some extent (i mean, internet sex is just like... lol), and i dont think it needs to be changed, but some of them are kind of silly...

OKAT I DELETED UNCLE GRANDPA! HAPPY NOW BITCH?

Sand Lover Nomad
    Quote Originally Posted by XzJeremyzX View Post
    Why are people so mad about not being allowed to use potentially offensive words like gay for example, what if someone playing right now was actually gay and they personally take it into offense if someone would say that, that's just an example.

It's sad that people want to say things like gay so much that they make a forum post complaining about it. I think these rules are completely fine and that you shouldn't have the real need to be swearing all that much on GLD..

As far as I know "fuck" isn't a chat vio.

It also comes into place where Minecraft is a childrens game, their will be 9 year olds, maybe even 8 year olds on GLD playing and if they were to see words like "gay, f*ggot, t*ts" then they might pick that up, go ask their parents what that means, tell that to their teachers, etc.

All in all, it's your fault if you're just going to post a chat vio in chat, already knowing about these rules.

(Edit) This is just my opinion on the rules, don't want any negativity towards what I think about it.
    Well I would agree with you, If i didn't know better, Whether you want to believe or not, it's 2014, Most of the people actually swearing, are in fact the young "8 or 9 year olds"

oh, and about the gay thing, I have friends that are gay, I was friends with them before they figured out they were, and still am(kinda), I know for a fact that 99% of gay people don't get offended by the word gay, It's a word so deeply embedded in the english vocabulary, that it doesn't have a hurtful or offensive meaning, Most people when they say "that's gay" aren't really saying "that's homesexual" They mean that sucks/is terrible in reality, and they gay people that I have met, or even talked to do not care at all if you say the word "gay" because the have the abillity to understand that it's so deeply embedded in the english vocabulary.

Incase anyone's wondering, I'm Not Gay, but I'm not homophobic either.

Sand Lover Nomad
    I also might add your arguement is quite invalid, as I remember Rw saying once, "this is a swearing server, so fuck you"-Or something like that, so I don't think this is really trying to protect children from these words, without failing terribly.
    Also, If a child is playing minecraft on a server, and can read chat efficiently, they should already know what most of these words mean, unless they live under a rock, which is highly unlikely, since they're playing on minecraft servers, and browsing the internet.

Honorary Forum Member Ancient Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleJuicemanwasbanned View Post
    I also might add your arguement is quite invalid, as I remember Rw saying once, "this is a swearing server, so fuck you"-Or something like that, so I don't think this is really trying to protect children from these words, without failing terribly.
    Also, If a child is playing minecraft on a server, and can read chat efficiently, they should already know what most of these words mean, unless they live under a rock, which is highly unlikely, since they're playing on minecraft servers, and browsing the internet.
    Amen.

Give this man a medal.

I dont mind it too much, personally I don't think 'Di*k' should be a chat vio, thats my only complaint on the matter.
    [SIZE=5][COLOR="#DAA520"]King[/COLOR] [[COLOR="#DAA520"]TUSK[/COLOR]:[COLOR="#40E0D0"]NA[/COLOR]][COLOR="#DAA520"][MGS][/COLOR][COLOR="#FFD700"] >>[/COLOR][COLOR="#990000"]Head[/COLOR] [COLOR="#FFFFFF"]Mod[/COLOR][COLOR="#FFD700"]<<[/COLOR] [COLOR="#990000"]K[/COLOR][COLOR="#FFFFFF"]ind[/COLOR]

[/SIZE]

Blog Entries
    Yes I do agree dick shouldn't be there even thought it is vulgar you could still use the word as another name for Richard but that would make people be smart asses and try to make ita loophole

So as I said before just don't use the words. Period
    "Death, it's a path we all must take to complete our lives"
    [UniCorn] Tjhod

Thread Information