Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    It can only be Elsewb... Mercenary
    Well, I've moved on to another platform. It's in early development, but the developer's philosophy is to give server owners economic freedom.

@iTrollin98
    Generally people won't tweet "Oh man, we just served the first C&D order! So much fun!" it's a silent affair, and that makes it deadly. We can't get numbers on this unless THEY publish numbers.

@bluesnake
    Not necessarily... But if Joan plays a losing hand it's likely the host will bring down the hammer on the server. The only way to be truly safe is to have a host that operates outside the law.
    [CENTER][URL=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

Guys.. Just let go of the player rank perks that pertain to gameplay. It'll be work to make things stabilize, and certainly a huge change, but it's doable.
    Just bump up the cosmetic perks, the visual things that can make a fun difference. Custom chat names, fun visual effects, hats, maybe stickers, or skeletal mounts (that are the same as other horses, just look cool) or something. Just go crazy with the fun goodies that /don't/ affect gameplay and you might have premium packages that are legal and still worth buying.
    That being said, if money is the issue.. I make up to 180+ dollars per month in commission work/3D item derivation sales for a game called IMVU. It's not much, but it comes in pretty steadily and I can donate a portion of it (10-20$) semi-regularly to keeping the server going, if that helps at all. I'm not sure how much this particular server burns through on a regular basis but, every penny counts I guess.
    It'd be a shame to see this shut down because it just couldn't adhere to the rules. I think it can, we just need to put aside the "me, me, me" mindset and decide whether or not we actually want this server to continue being a thing.

"May I serve the order honourably."

***** Ancient Sage
    Blog Entries
    I do agree though, we need more cosmetic perks

@ChairThief So long as Joan takes the necessary precautions GLD will be fine. There are hundreds of other servers fighting this still, and Mojang simply can't deal with all of them.
    [CENTER][URL=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

If we want we can terminate this EULA if you breach the terms. You can terminate it too, at any time, all you have to do is uninstall the Game from your computer and the EULA will be terminated. If the EULA is terminated, you will no longer be allowed to play our Game.
    Simple. Joan quits minecraft and none of this applies. We keep the ranking system, but make a way for people to get ranks for free. Joan can just request an admin to speed up the process for an individual.
    [Head Builder] Light

And so long as there aren't any snitching c###s, there's no chance of GLD falling into Mojang ' s radar.

@Blu3 The server host has to accept the EULA, however. That said, a third party is performing the actual sales, so it may be a loophole.

I've been thinking: Would modding a PRE - EULA minecraft version to behave just like the updated version exempt you from it(Since they did say you're bound to the eula you agree to when you update)? Hmm.

Also @ChairThief I'd like to add that this isn't an argument of ability. Any server can follow directions and be part of the machine, but a good CHEF knows the best dishes aren't made out of a book. If we simply listen, this will be forgotten, the wounds are fresh, yes, and our innate xenophobia may guide us away from the path of least resistance at times, but this isn't a fear of change. Either way one thing is preserved, and another destroyed. It's the EULA or diversity, and progress, and the damnably efficient business model Minecraft's servers have followed for so long.

Mojang isn't all powerful. Hell, they can barely keep track of their own affairs without trying to meddle in the business of the multi player userbase. Doing this is going to be expensive for Mojang, and I doubt they're willing to forgo many more luxuries, especially for the sake of a part of Minecraft only a fraction of their team actually use.

To tell you the truth, I've been burned by P2W servers dozens of times, but that's not going to stop me from lobbying for them. I agree with Mojang, they're right on many accounts, but I'm not EVER going to support something like this. They decided to do this three years too late, knowing full well this would hurt people. People who, mind you, may have made a living off of their servers. People who had to pay hundreds of dollars out of pocket when they COULD sell gameplay perks. Instead of servers making new games and cool features, they now have to bide their time developing premium cosmetic items, setting up ad systems, and making their servers P2P just so they can pay the bills.

Is it selfish to fight for the people who can't pay their way into a server? IS IT SELFISH to prevent Johnny from seeing ads for the newest tampons and condoms on the market? (Yes, ads for those products are allowed by the EULA)

I have a major gripe about ads in particular, as you can tell. My reasoning is that ads exist solely to exploit you. Alluring imagery and silvery words that imprint into your, or a youth's, mind. Advertisements are the most inconspicuous and voraciously common forms of brainwashing that have ever existed. Any reasonable and self respecting company that claims to be child friendly or subjects others to such rules has no room to recommend, or even allow advertisements.

The change isn't friendly to anyone's wallet.

The change isn't friendly to anyone's kids.

The change isn't friendly to me, either. I've very rarely donated to a server, but I have never had ads forced on me, nor have I ever been forced to pay my way into a server, or empty my pockets just to unlock the ability to dye my clothing, or get flowers, or get end stone without it turning into cobblestone. That's the future I see. People will stretch the term cosmetic as far as they can and it'll burn everyone in the end.

Nobody here is being selfish. If they choose to rally under a banner against Mojang's movement, that simply means they were willing to stand up against the machine and fight for what they believe in.

O! Must such a beast be like that of a dog? Loyal to command and fear and order and that which they are governed by? What is free will without the will to exercise it? Choice without personal reason? Nay, what is humanity without a dog's heart, or perhaps less. People don't need to be put on a leash to obey.

You're being ridiculous and unnecessarily poetic over something as trivial as a (actually rather superficial) change in the game you play. Also that is an unrelated analogy.
    I would condone rebelling against the law if the law was threatening the safety, wellbeing, and freedom of its people without their consent, or otherwise extending its reach further than it has a right to.
    But Mojang has every right. Minecraft is theirs, their terms of service never actually changed, people just didn't understand them, or care to read them. Call me what you will, but I am no longer comfortable coming back to a server that does not adhere to the rather reasonable rules of the game it represents.
    This ship has sailed. Seeya.

"May I serve the order honourably."

A poets blood never runs dry, oh disenchanted one.

As I said before, there are people who actually make a living off of these servers. They DO get hurt by it. Review my post and see what else I said because clearly you must have tl;dr'd it.

As for Minecraft having every right to it... they do, I won't deny that... but their failure to exercise some rights, such as their EULA, makes it possible to challenge in court when they finally do attempt to.

We are clearly in disagreement over what entails a reasonable set of rules. This server is choosing to rebel against what it sees as harmful, unjust action. We understand that an EXCEPTION was added to the otherwise rigid EULA, but that isn't the issue here. We aren't arguing that the change is bad. It's good, in fact. That said, the fact that they decide to enforce it after 3 years of inaction IS harmful.

Might I add that it's never good to equate opposing opinion as logical fallacy. Also, my analogy was perfectly relevant, you're just no fun.
    Last edited by Rayblon; 08-07-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Thread Information