Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

More effective way of Improving GLD Through suggestions

Sooo.... I see all these suggestion threads, but they really sort of just add new stuff which no-one really needs. What we should be doing is fixing what we already have. Knowing what to fix will make a huge difference to improving the server. If someone posts something and you agree with it, tell us - majority opinion matters.
    So, to tell us what we need to fix, I want you guys to post everything you hate about GLD:
    [Head Builder] Light

What I hate about GLD: The community which KEEPS POSTING THREADS LIKE THIS WHICH THEY KNOW ARE USELESS.
    [Berserker] ManuKnife

<- Hehe, rekt.

Administrator Ancient Sage
    What I hate about GLD: people who have nothing useful to do, but contribute to the noise *winks at myself and manu*

Sand Lover Desert Sage
    The reason i do not really play anymore is the seam reason as nono i have nothing to do but flying around and im pretty sure ive seen the whole map so yeah... nothing to do i would love to play but i have everything and anything i want and all the money which is not really useful anymore.
    [COLOR="#000080"]MINERBROS66[/COLOR] ([COLOR="#000080"]Dark King[/COLOR]) [COLOR="#000080"][/COLOR][COLOR="#000080"] Founder Pagodaville[/COLOR] :[]

Quote Originally Posted by minerbros66 View Post
    The reason i do not really play anymore is the seam reason as nono i have nothing to do but flying around and im pretty sure ive seen the whole map so yeah... nothing to do i would love to play but i have everything and anything i want and all the money which is not really useful anymore.
    Have you seen my oasises :3 if not I suggest you find them, Im gunna be hosting an event with them quite soon, super cool prizes for the winner
    [SIZE=5][COLOR="#DAA520"]King[/COLOR] [[COLOR="#DAA520"]TUSK[/COLOR]:[COLOR="#40E0D0"]NA[/COLOR]][COLOR="#DAA520"][MGS][/COLOR][COLOR="#FFD700"] >>[/COLOR][COLOR="#990000"]Head[/COLOR] [COLOR="#FFFFFF"]Mod[/COLOR][COLOR="#FFD700"]<<[/COLOR] [COLOR="#990000"]K[/COLOR][COLOR="#FFFFFF"]ind[/COLOR]

[/SIZE]

Okay Good. 1 Problem with GLD is the lack of things to do.
    Start as many arguments as you can, keep piling negatives on
    [Head Builder] Light

Quote Originally Posted by Manuknife56 View Post
    ...The community which KEEPS POSTING THREADS LIKE THIS WHICH THEY KNOW ARE USELESS.
    1+

Quote Originally Posted by Manuknife56 View Post
    What I hate about GLD: The community which KEEPS POSTING THREADS LIKE THIS WHICH THEY KNOW ARE USELESS.

You know what I hate about GLD? How so many people in the community are pointlessly negative.

Honestly guys, you can /at least/ offer some valuable input beyond "it sucks and that's just the end of it". People can be quite creative when they actually put some brainpower into something. So instead of acting like an edgy 15-year-old who just discovered how to be contrary for the sake of being contrary, why don't you actually explain your thoughts and reasoning so that there can be a more constructive output to a thread that you deem is "useless". It doesn't have to be useless, but you certainly aren't helping with your negative input.

Quote Originally Posted by Blu3 View Post
    Sooo.... I see all these suggestion threads, but they really sort of just add new stuff which no-one really needs. What we should be doing is fixing what we already have. Knowing what to fix will make a huge difference to improving the server. If someone posts something and you agree with it, tell us - majority opinion matters.
    So, to tell us what we need to fix, I want you guys to post everything you hate about GLD:
    Firstly, this is shamelessly asking for controversy. Considering how generally volatile that this community has proven itself to be (ever taken a peek into the rant forum..?), I'd expect people to know better than this by now.
    Secondly, telling people why you hate something won't make it better. You have to address the entirety of a problem for anything constructive to come of it, you cannot just say what you hate about it and expect good results. Broaden your scope of understanding and consider all sides of a problem at once so that a more constructive solution can be found in a more timely manner.
    Thirdly, while there are things GLD can do to improve and become more 'popular', there are thousands of other servers out there. Attempting to stand out among such a crowd is nigh impossible.. In fact the only thing GLD really has going for it is its unique environment.

So it stands to reason that one of the most effective ways one may consider improving GLD would be to strengthen its unique assets. Perhaps a unique texture pack that people can download, or a bigger emphasis on the environment.. Frankly, I'd tone down the PvP aspects and begin considering heavier story elements- maybe like an RPG.
    Your character awakens in an abandoned desert temple with no memory and must venture out in the world in hopes of discovering what happened and who they are. As they begin their adventure into the world they begin discovering odd clues to the world around them that only leave them more confused than ever. Abandoned villages, oases with empty huts, the ruins of what appears to be an ancient civilization..

This would give an extra unique element, in that not only does the world offer the freedom of Minecraft that we all love, it has the suspense of potential PvP encounters, the hook of a ongoing storyline and may even encourage roleplay.

I'd also advocate for the implementation of dungeons.. Proper dungeons. I could just foresee it- a small well out in the middle of nowhere or a sort of temple, where the top opens and you can drop down a long way into a body of water underground. It's dark and all you can see is a faint glow of a torch in the distance, so you swim over and find yourself in what appears to be an ancient catacomb. By fighting your way through the dungeon, you might be able to get Lightstones and other cool goodies from chests as you progress. At the end you'd eventually make another drop into another body of water and see a ladder illuminated on the other side where you can climb up and out into the world again.

So you see, there are plenty of ways to improve and have a unique experience, and I think that some individuals in the community are more eager to help than some would think.. I'd be happy to help with story elements myself.

-Edit- I also have to bring this up, and I know I'll probably get flack for it, but I feel like some of the rewards for donating to the server are just a little too.. Much. A lot of people complaining that there's nothing left to do are the people who have gotten everything there is to get.. There's nothing left to work toward and that evokes a feeling of boredom by proxy. If everything that people want is available at the touch of a button (given they have the funds to back it up) then where's the sense of accomplishment?
    To grab and hold people's attention, there needs to be some sort of "risk and reward" factor, elsewise most will deem it pointless. I can tell you for a fact that while my tastes are simple and I'm still happy with my current experience on GLD, it was considerably more exciting in the beginning when I was still getting started. When I'd just built my little hole in the ground hut and struggled just to survive on a daily basis.

There is a sort of rewarding sense that comes with that struggle. Even though I oftentimes found myself victim to raiding, there was a charm about those days that kept me coming back even despite that.

I feel like it would do the community's longevity justice to have things be perhaps a little more difficult to acquire. Make them work for it, so that the value of things is more pronounced.
    Last edited by ChairThief; 03-18-2015 at 11:29 AM. Reason: I had a bit more to add.

"May I serve the order honourably."

Super Moderator Desert Sage
    Nomad

It does not really take much to find a problem with anything.
    The real trick is coming up with solution.
    Alot of problems on GLD we know about.
    So telling us there is nothing to do is not helping.
    Telling us what you would like to do. That is something helpful.
    So stop just telling us things wrong with the server. We know whats wrong with it. People tell us the problems everyday. What at least I want to hear is solution to the problems not people just saying the same problems over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by ChairThief View Post
    You know what I hate about GLD? How so many people in the community are pointlessly negative.

Honestly guys, you can /at least/ offer some valuable input beyond "it sucks and that's just the end of it". People can be quite creative when they actually put some brainpower into something. So instead of acting like an edgy 15-year-old who just discovered how to be contrary for the sake of being contrary, why don't you actually explain your thoughts and reasoning so that there can be a more constructive output to a thread that you deem is "useless". It doesn't have to be useless, but you certainly aren't helping with your negative input.

Firstly, this is shamelessly asking for controversy. Considering how generally volatile that this community has proven itself to be (ever taken a peek into the rant forum..?), I'd expect people to know better than this by now.
    Secondly, telling people why you hate something won't make it better. You have to address the entirety of a problem for anything constructive to come of it, you cannot just say what you hate about it and expect good results. Broaden your scope of understanding and consider all sides of a problem at once so that a more constructive solution can be found in a more timely manner.
    Thirdly, while there are things GLD can do to improve and become more 'popular', there are thousands of other servers out there. Attempting to stand out among such a crowd is nigh impossible.. In fact the only thing GLD really has going for it is its unique environment.

So it stands to reason that one of the most effective ways one may consider improving GLD would be to strengthen its unique assets. Perhaps a unique texture pack that people can download, or a bigger emphasis on the environment.. Frankly, I'd tone down the PvP aspects and begin considering heavier story elements- maybe like an RPG.
    Your character awakens in an abandoned desert temple with no memory and must venture out in the world in hopes of discovering what happened and who they are. As they begin their adventure into the world they begin discovering odd clues to the world around them that only leave them more confused than ever. Abandoned villages, oases with empty huts, the ruins of what appears to be an ancient civilization..

This would give an extra unique element, in that not only does the world offer the freedom of Minecraft that we all love, it has the suspense of potential PvP encounters, the hook of a ongoing storyline and may even encourage roleplay.

I'd also advocate for the implementation of dungeons.. Proper dungeons. I could just foresee it- a small well out in the middle of nowhere or a sort of temple, where the top opens and you can drop down a long way into a body of water underground. It's dark and all you can see is a faint glow of a torch in the distance, so you swim over and find yourself in what appears to be an ancient catacomb. By fighting your way through the dungeon, you might be able to get Lightstones and other cool goodies from chests as you progress. At the end you'd eventually make another drop into another body of water and see a ladder illuminated on the other side where you can climb up and out into the world again.

So you see, there are plenty of ways to improve and have a unique experience, and I think that some individuals in the community are more eager to help than some would think.. I'd be happy to help with story elements myself.

-Edit- I also have to bring this up, and I know I'll probably get flack for it, but I feel like some of the rewards for donating to the server are just a little too.. Much. A lot of people complaining that there's nothing left to do are the people who have gotten everything there is to get.. There's nothing left to work toward and that evokes a feeling of boredom by proxy. If everything that people want is available at the touch of a button (given they have the funds to back it up) then where's the sense of accomplishment?
    To grab and hold people's attention, there needs to be some sort of "risk and reward" factor, elsewise most will deem it pointless. I can tell you for a fact that while my tastes are simple and I'm still happy with my current experience on GLD, it was considerably more exciting in the beginning when I was still getting started. When I'd just built my little hole in the ground hut and struggled just to survive on a daily basis.

There is a sort of rewarding sense that comes with that struggle. Even though I oftentimes found myself victim to raiding, there was a charm about those days that kept me coming back even despite that.

I feel like it would do the community's longevity justice to have things be perhaps a little more difficult to acquire. Make them work for it, so that the value of things is more pronounced.
    ChairThief, everyone. Take notes.

Thread Information