Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
    Sand Addict Ancient Sage
    whats the ip again

Enforcer Desert Sage
    Blog Entries
    I think the best way to get GLD active again is to advertise, or perhaps join a network or a major hub server. Even though that thing didn't go all that well with The Chunk, we always had a full tab list online.
    [img]http://gld.bz/s/SockHeadx86[/img]
    [COLOR="#40E0D0"]"mildly demoted but possibly also retired staff member"[/COLOR]
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/TlOilPO.gif[/IMG]

It can only be Elsewb... Nomad
    As a long term veteran GLD player, I love that we are pulling ourselves by the boot straps and getting putting in an effort

Building off the old GLD idea, I think maybe we should have some set time (Maybe one day every month) where the old GLD is accessible, but only if we have everything we can.

And as I also said before, events! I had suggested a mix of PvP, Parkour, and/or Spleef because if its just PvP, then those who are already op will win and it ruins the fun.

Maybe more title ranks? And by that I mean like Builder, Dev, and Staff.

Drop parties too might attract attention

Also, we could advertise on some websites such as social media's.

Bring back chat vios. Dont make them too strict, but also not too loose.

This is all I have at the moment

EDIT: And I also think its time that the Builders work on a new spawn. This one is kinda clunky (The building behind is great. I would like to keep that if we do redo the spawn)
    [img]http://gld.bz/s/Myst_Hawk[/img]
    http://prntscr.com/7x93h6
    http://prntscr.com/7x95b1

I want /fix hand and /fix all, it would save people so much time and create more PvP.
    *Put a cooldown on the fix(s)*

We should try and get more people reconmending the sever instead of downgrading it.

War should be 2/3 times a week instead of once.

Cooler plugins to GLD as well.

Custom enchantments that are ingrained into the weapon that you get for buying the rank. such as "Poison 2 at a 5% chance" for a donor sword. You could choose to get a Donor axe, or sword and choose a custom enchant when you check out on the buycraft. Donors that have ranks right now, could get their one time donor weapon. And when you rank-up, you still get a donor weapon, just not as powerful. Donor weapons would be better as ranks go up, so, of course, ST would be pretty bad and Risen Titan would be bad ass. Donor weapons could sell on the buycraft for a decent amount considering how good they are and would probably sell. Considering I would buy it myself a few times.

Add in custom houses and dungeons (with loot) scattered across the world and maybe make the map more dynamic. Like, add cooler mountians and add oasis's, dungeons with spawners that Mineable can get (would add more exploration and possible town creation)

Lower the map size so raiding would be more common.

Get rid of the /hat completely and replace it with something fun, like a double jump that can be used everywhere but border and pvp areas.

Add in random spawning. Like maybe something that a staff can trigger, like a blood moon. A blood moon is when a bunch of mobs spawn uncontrollably and is a very scary/exciting event

Get a time to do a group activity, start it with some games and end it with a drop party. Not a huge drop party, but something to get people on.

We should get a better bounty plugin that is put on a head. Also, with that, make mob heads sell for a price (example: cow-200 LS, pig-200 LS, Zombie- 250 LS)

We should get a head collection/trophy system. Like, reward someone 10k for collecting a group of dark king head's or like 15k for a set of enforcers. ( I could set up the groups if this is alright)

We should do a build off game, trick shot game, or like a dancing while falling game. We get a certain amount of judges and winner gets a prize.

bring back the black market.

Add a gladiator fight and arena. We can set up people that person has to fight in order to progress in the arena and earn the title, champion. It won't be easy, so we have to find the best.

Add kits for every rank, but you only get kits near you. Say, you're dark king, you'd only get 1337, Desert Sage, and Dark king. You wouldn't get the other ranks since it would be OP.

Add keys. Keys can be bought on the buycraft for 3-5$ and have a chance at every kit, spawners, money, or ranks. The rarity of everything goes like this:

Common- Low donor rank kits(Veteran-)
    uncommon- High donor rank kits (1337+)
    Rare- 16 opples, 100k, and 2 spawners
    Rarest- Spawner pack (all), Any rank, 250k+ (can be any amount), and a few kits.

Add a name tag above our heads for the town we're in.

Bring Withers back. Allow them to destroy things

Reset the end every few days or every week.

Do a 6 hour server reset.
    [SIZE=5][CENTER][COLOR="#FFA500"]King[/COLOR] [[COLOR="#FFA500"]Viral[/COLOR]:[COLOR="#008080"]Pandemic[/COLOR]] [COLOR="#008080"][B]MOD[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="#008080"]Jalin[/COLOR][/CENTER][/SIZE]

[CENTER][SIZE=5][COLOR="#00FF00"]Don't be a racism[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [COLOR="#00FF00"][SIZE=5]-Jalin[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

Administrator Ancient Sage
    If we are revamping GLD I think we should reconsider how the economy works. From the outside(not knowing too much about the plugin or the inner works of GLD) it appears that selling diamonds generates new currency and sorta devalues it. When getting LS is as easy as mining diamonds and poof without many expenses they sorta lose their value, it may be that there is no one on to use them with, but the economy should be tweaked alittle

I've posted this elsewhere, but it could stand to be reposted.

"Telling people why you hate something won't make it better. You have to address the entirety of a problem for anything constructive to come of it, you cannot just say what you hate about it and expect good results. Broaden your scope of understanding and consider all sides of a problem at once so that a more constructive solution can be found in a more timely manner.
    While there are things GLD can do to improve and become more 'popular', there are thousands of other servers out there. Attempting to stand out among such a crowd is nigh impossible.. In fact the only thing GLD really has going for it is its unique environment.

So it stands to reason that one of the most effective ways one may consider improving GLD would be to strengthen its unique assets. Perhaps a unique texture pack that people can download, or a bigger emphasis on the environment.. Frankly, I'd tone down the PvP aspects and begin considering heavier story elements- maybe like an RPG.
    Your character awakens in an abandoned desert temple with no memory and must venture out in the world in hopes of discovering what happened and who they are. As they begin their adventure into the world they begin discovering odd clues to the world around them that only leave them more confused than ever. Abandoned villages, oases with empty huts, the ruins of what appears to be an ancient civilization..

This would give an extra unique element, in that not only does the world offer the freedom of Minecraft that we all love, it has the suspense of potential PvP encounters, the hook of a ongoing storyline and may even encourage roleplay.

I'd also advocate for the implementation of dungeons.. Proper dungeons. I could just foresee it- a small well out in the middle of nowhere or a sort of temple, where the top opens and you can drop down a long way into a body of water underground. It's dark and all you can see is a faint glow of a torch in the distance, so you swim over and find yourself in what appears to be an ancient catacomb. By fighting your way through the dungeon, you might be able to get Lightstones and other cool goodies from chests as you progress. At the end you'd eventually make another drop into another body of water and see a ladder illuminated on the other side where you can climb up and out into the world again.

So you see, there are plenty of ways to improve and have a unique experience, and I think that some individuals in the community are more eager to help than some would think.. I'd be happy to help with story elements myself.

-Edit- I also have to bring this up, and I know I'll probably get flack for it, but I feel like some of the rewards for donating to the server are just a little too.. Much. A lot of people complaining that there's nothing left to do are the people who have gotten everything there is to get.. There's nothing left to work toward and that evokes a feeling of boredom by proxy. If everything that people want is available at the touch of a button (given they have the funds to back it up) then where's the sense of accomplishment?
    To grab and hold people's attention, there needs to be some sort of "risk and reward" factor, elsewise most will deem it pointless. I can tell you for a fact that while my tastes are simple and I'm still happy with my current experience on GLD, it was considerably more exciting in the beginning when I was still getting started. When I'd just built my little hole in the ground hut and struggled just to survive on a daily basis.

There is a sort of rewarding sense that comes with that struggle. Even though I oftentimes found myself victim to raiding, there was a charm about those days that kept me coming back even despite that.

I feel like it would do the community's longevity justice to have things be perhaps a little more difficult to acquire. Make them work for it, so that the value of things is more pronounced."

"May I serve the order honourably."

Blog Entries
    WARNING... This is a massive reply post, brace yourselves!

Quote Originally Posted by SockHeadx86 View Post
    I think the best way to get GLD active again is to advertise, or perhaps join a network or a major hub server. Even though that thing didn't go all that well with The Chunk, we always had a full tab list online.
    No doubt there needs to be a lot of advertising by many different means.. But if we did that with the current state of things, all the new players would quit.
    https://github.com/GLServers/GLD/issues/13

Quote Originally Posted by Myst_Hawk View Post
    As a long term veteran GLD player, I love that we are pulling ourselves by the boot straps and getting putting in an effort

Building off the old GLD idea, I think maybe we should have some set time (Maybe one day every month) where the old GLD is accessible, but only if we have everything we can.

And as I also said before, events! I had suggested a mix of PvP, Parkour, and/or Spleef because if its just PvP, then those who are already op will win and it ruins the fun.

Maybe more title ranks? And by that I mean like Builder, Dev, and Staff.

Drop parties too might attract attention

Also, we could advertise on some websites such as social media's.

Bring back chat vios. Dont make them too strict, but also not too loose.

This is all I have at the moment

EDIT: And I also think its time that the Builders work on a new spawn. This one is kinda clunky (The building behind is great. I would like to keep that if we do redo the spawn)

-Currently we got a few automatic events planned, Weekly: War, Nexus | Daily: KoTH .. And we're still open to ideas!

-Old GLD will most likely still be accessible via a subdomain like old.gld.bz where you can possibly play, but definitely look around. (To ease over those who don't wish to play on the new server)

-Those kinds of events are good, but we don't want to flood it with too many minigame type things. (Maybe more unique things that pertain to GLD)

-Title ranks and stuff are definitely going to be a thing one way or another.

-Drop parties may still be a good event that occurs monthly or so, added to github.

-Social media, yes, can't forget about that.. will also add that to the github.

-I still only think we should give chat vios for really offensive type stuff, not standard curses, etc.

-As far as getting builders going, I'm going to be spending a bit getting the initial new desert generated first, but in the meanwhile we can assemble a group. (I'm looking at you Blu3!)

Quote Originally Posted by jjfor3333;59911
    I want /fix hand and /fix all, it would save people so much time and create more PvP.
    *Put a cooldown on the fix(s)*

We should try and get more people reconmending the sever instead of downgrading it.

War should be 2/3 times a week instead of once.

Cooler plugins to GLD as well.

Custom enchantments that are ingrained into the weapon that you get for buying the rank. such as "Poison 2 at a 5% chance" for a donor sword. You could choose to get a Donor axe, or sword and choose a custom enchant when you check out on the buycraft. Donors that have ranks right now, could get their one time donor weapon. And when you rank-up, you still get a donor weapon, just not as powerful. Donor weapons would be better as ranks go up, so, of course, ST would be pretty bad and Risen Titan would be bad ass. Donor weapons could sell on the buycraft for a decent amount considering how good they are and would probably sell. Considering I would buy it myself a few times.

Add in custom houses and dungeons (with loot) scattered across the world and maybe make the map more dynamic. Like, add cooler mountians and add oasis's, dungeons with spawners that Mineable can get (would add more exploration and possible town creation)

Lower the map size so raiding would be more common.

Get rid of the /hat completely and replace it with something fun, like a double jump that can be used everywhere but border and pvp areas.

Add in random spawning. Like maybe something that a staff can trigger, like a blood moon. A blood moon is when a bunch of mobs spawn uncontrollably and is a very scary/exciting event

Get a time to do a group activity, start it with some games and end it with a drop party. Not a huge drop party, but something to get people on.

We should get a better bounty plugin that is put on a head. Also, with that, make mob heads sell for a price (example: cow-200 LS, pig-200 LS, Zombie- 250 LS)

We should get a head collection/trophy system. Like, reward someone 10k for collecting a group of dark king head's or like 15k for a set of enforcers. ( I could set up the groups if this is alright)

We should do a build off game, trick shot game, or like a dancing while falling game. We get a certain amount of judges and winner gets a prize.

bring back the black market.

Add a gladiator fight and arena. We can set up people that person has to fight in order to progress in the arena and earn the title, champion. It won't be easy, so we have to find the best.

Add kits for every rank, but you only get kits near you. Say, you're dark king, you'd only get 1337, Desert Sage, and Dark king. You wouldn't get the other ranks since it would be OP.

Add keys. Keys can be bought on the buycraft for 3-5$ and have a chance at every kit, spawners, money, or ranks. The rarity of everything goes like this:

Common- Low donor rank kits(Veteran-)
    uncommon- High donor rank kits (1337+)
    Rare- 16 opples, 100k, and 2 spawners
    Rarest- Spawner pack (all), Any rank, 250k+ (can be any amount), and a few kits.

Add a name tag above our heads for the town we're in.

Bring Withers back. Allow them to destroy things

Reset the end every few days or every week.

Do a 6 hour server reset.

-Fix hand would no doubt be abused during pvp and would reduce the value of rare weapons (even with a cooldown). Maybe introduce a way to fix weapons, but make it cost Xyz.

-The referral program plugin will help with that.

-War may be more often, we'll have to see how the gameplay mechanics work out.

-We're always open to plugin suggestions, so feel free to post them here or on the Github!

-A chance to get a weapons... Kinda sounds like Lightroll? Maybe we could redesign that to use 'keys' or something else.. But add more rare stuff like that.
    (Added to github under donation rework)

-This idea is exciting because of the Nexus idea. Every week a new world will open that is fresh (Can't make towns, etc) that will have randomly generated stuff. This allows us to easily create premade structures with different loot.

-We do wish to make the desert a bit more dynamic. See https://github.com/GLServers/GLD/issues/2

-Map size will be reduced to encourage that, and exploration of the nexus world.

-May get rid of hat due to its current issues with deleting helmets... So yeah, we'll see what we can do to replace that with.

-Blood moon idea is great, will look for a plugin. https://github.com/GLServers/GLD/issues/33

-Random events like that would be nice, we'll have to see what can be done once everything's set up.

-Don't really mean by the head? You mean like if you have a bunch of heads from someone you can sell them? Ehh...

-Setting groups like that would be really tedious and I'm not sure how it would work or if there is anything that can do that :/

-So many games... I think we'll need to bring back a dedicated event manager for the random stuff like that.

-Black market has always been a good idea, but when the locations are discovered it just becomes like a regular market.. Unless we can find a way to change their locations daily or something...
    https://github.com/GLServers/GLD/issues/34

-A gladiator arena would require a ton of participants that stay on for that to work.. So we will have to look into this once we got a good playerbase going again.

-Kits for every rank is cool, but limiting the lower ones to higher ranks may be a bit much. We'll definitely look into how to split up the kits fairly/progressively.

-Keys.. Kinda already have this with the Lightroll site I made. Like I said, it could be modified to have more rewards and rebranded a bit.

-Town in nametag, we'll give it a shot and see how it looks.. May conflict with other name titles though.

-I'm sure we'll include withers in some of the future events or have them spawn rarely.

-At the moment I think the end resets daily? So reduce that to a few days to a week?

-6 hour server restarts is a bit crazy.. The only need for reboots is to refresh everything if it's lagging (the server once ran for a week straight, but it was quite laggy..) I think 24 hours is good still.

Quote Originally Posted by nonojang View Post
    If we are revamping GLD I think we should reconsider how the economy works. From the outside(not knowing too much about the plugin or the inner works of GLD) it appears that selling diamonds generates new currency and sorta devalues it. When getting LS is as easy as mining diamonds and poof without many expenses they sorta lose their value, it may be that there is no one on to use them with, but the economy should be tweaked alittle
    No doubt we'll need to revamp the way the economy works.. But that will be a work in progress as we build the server up. We're thinking about an item based economy that works like normal with /money .. But you have to keep your stuff safe.

Quote Originally Posted by ChairThief View Post
    I've posted this elsewhere, but it could stand to be reposted.

"Telling people why you hate something won't make it better. You have to address the entirety of a problem for anything constructive to come of it, you cannot just say what you hate about it and expect good results. Broaden your scope of understanding and consider all sides of a problem at once so that a more constructive solution can be found in a more timely manner.
    While there are things GLD can do to improve and become more 'popular', there are thousands of other servers out there. Attempting to stand out among such a crowd is nigh impossible.. In fact the only thing GLD really has going for it is its unique environment.

So it stands to reason that one of the most effective ways one may consider improving GLD would be to strengthen its unique assets. Perhaps a unique texture pack that people can download, or a bigger emphasis on the environment.. Frankly, I'd tone down the PvP aspects and begin considering heavier story elements- maybe like an RPG.
    Your character awakens in an abandoned desert temple with no memory and must venture out in the world in hopes of discovering what happened and who they are. As they begin their adventure into the world they begin discovering odd clues to the world around them that only leave them more confused than ever. Abandoned villages, oases with empty huts, the ruins of what appears to be an ancient civilization..

This would give an extra unique element, in that not only does the world offer the freedom of Minecraft that we all love, it has the suspense of potential PvP encounters, the hook of a ongoing storyline and may even encourage roleplay.

I'd also advocate for the implementation of dungeons.. Proper dungeons. I could just foresee it- a small well out in the middle of nowhere or a sort of temple, where the top opens and you can drop down a long way into a body of water underground. It's dark and all you can see is a faint glow of a torch in the distance, so you swim over and find yourself in what appears to be an ancient catacomb. By fighting your way through the dungeon, you might be able to get Lightstones and other cool goodies from chests as you progress. At the end you'd eventually make another drop into another body of water and see a ladder illuminated on the other side where you can climb up and out into the world again.

So you see, there are plenty of ways to improve and have a unique experience, and I think that some individuals in the community are more eager to help than some would think.. I'd be happy to help with story elements myself.

-Edit- I also have to bring this up, and I know I'll probably get flack for it, but I feel like some of the rewards for donating to the server are just a little too.. Much. A lot of people complaining that there's nothing left to do are the people who have gotten everything there is to get.. There's nothing left to work toward and that evokes a feeling of boredom by proxy. If everything that people want is available at the touch of a button (given they have the funds to back it up) then where's the sense of accomplishment?
    To grab and hold people's attention, there needs to be some sort of "risk and reward" factor, elsewise most will deem it pointless. I can tell you for a fact that while my tastes are simple and I'm still happy with my current experience on GLD, it was considerably more exciting in the beginning when I was still getting started. When I'd just built my little hole in the ground hut and struggled just to survive on a daily basis.

There is a sort of rewarding sense that comes with that struggle. Even though I oftentimes found myself victim to raiding, there was a charm about those days that kept me coming back even despite that.

I feel like it would do the community's longevity justice to have things be perhaps a little more difficult to acquire. Make them work for it, so that the value of things is more pronounced."

There are indeed thousands of servers that are basically identical, hoping that a player will join and stay...
    In our case, we know this, and are going to hopefully make it something truly unique and captivating again.

A texture pack would be cool, but I've never liked them to be honest.. Nothing ever felt quite right. I just stick with default.
    Map will have a bit more character to it, so that should be fun.
    PVP will be rebalanced and competitive for everyone again, as not to scare away any new players who don't have a chance.

I love the idea of a story element to it, but integrating it would be a challenge..
    Has a lot of opportunity though.
    (It would keep things fresh, like a living book/movie)

I'm actually going to add that to the Github... Proper dungeons.
    I'd like to see if we can make that somehow.
    https://github.com/GLServers/GLD/issues/35

And don't worry, we're redoing the donation perks to be less P2W.
    It does hurt the new players ultimately.
    There will still be lots of stuff that you can get that will further your progress, but less end-game type stuff.

We do want to make the desert a more challenging place to survive in, so that will be something that we will work on as we work on the new map.
    That's what got me to make GLD in the first place... The struggle to make something out of nothing, very fulfilling.

-----

OK, my fingers hurt now.. Back to work!

Want to test this signature out? I made it! Unique to GLD.
    It will automatically update when we make changes to it!

Add this to your sig:
    [ img]http://gld.bz/s/myusername[/img ]
    (Replace myusername with your username, and remove spaces in the [img ] tags!)

Feel free to use it anywhere else you may have a forum account!

I may be considered a builder, but before that I am a storyteller. Good builds tell a story. The reason I build is not to play Minecraft, but for same the reason people create art. I want to give people experiences.

GLD
    Your quest begins in the last remaining town from an ancient civilization. A civilization that relied on their protection, The Great Light, to let them prosper. But the light dwindled and society fell. The last flicker of light remains in your town. A beacon of light that reaches to the heavens and guides lost travelers to safety.
    Welcome to a world of dust. A world of death. As you explore the desert you come across the ruins of this civilization. Ruins that are but a shadow of its past greatness.
    Why? How? What could have destroyed a civilization as mighty as this? The flames of your campfire give no answer.

But the zombie behind you does.

So umm yeah. Lemme explain my ideas for the GLD.

Staff

RPG Project
    Owner: Joan
    Project designer: Me, hopefully
    Loremaster: Chair, hopefully
    Developers: Joan, Xenu, and maybe someone who can code.

Website
    Website Designer: Me, hopefully
    Website Aesthetics: Chair, hopefully
    Website Producer: Joan, hopefully

Ingame designers
    Head of Aesthetics and design: p0rr (the other head builder)
    Head of UX: Me

Other
    Some mods n' stuff - doesn't take too much skill :P\

Spawn
    Spawn is a small "desert village" style town with a temple in the center. This temple holds the last remaining fragment of the "Great light" (an infinite yellow firework). The town's name is Mzyrn. Which means yellow in the Forgotten Language.

Desert
    Players will then explore the desert. No fly or god or teleporting. It takes away from the joy of discovery. There will be paths with Inns located every 500-1000 blocks. These inns basically act as paid checkpoints (money to stay the night in a bed). They also act as a way to receive money - music discs. Players can trade non-renewable resources for these music discs - which can buy pretty much anything else. See the GitHub post on the item based economy.
    There will be small (protected) structures scattered around the desert. Ruins of old villages, abandoned mines etc. These will have maybe 1 spawner in them - not enough to grind. They will also have puzzles and loot, which refills.

Ardaan
    Eventually, players will come to one of these structures which is HUGE, like 100-200 blocks big. This is 2000-3000 blocks away from the spawn. This these are the ruins of Ardaan (blue). The lost capital of the Civilization of the great light.
    This has spawners that create powerful mobs, and points that must be captured to complete it. The spawners are the only blocks in the structure that can be destroyed. But they respawn after 15 minutes. When all the spawners are destroyed in a point, a wither will be spawned and they will stop respawning for a time. Players have 10 minutes to kill the wither, and capture the point by placing its star in the designated hopper. If they do not, the wither disappears and the spawners will continue respawning. Once the dungeon has been completed. 3-4 points captured, the GLD spawn will be switched to Ardaan. There will be some lore revealed and then yeah.
    Oh yeah, Ardaan has a port - you can pay the captain of one of the ships to take you to another country (nexus world or whatever). It's pretty much another infinite world of desert. This has more bountiful resources and will stop players from griefing the GLD map too much.

Lights
    Ardaan has a blue light(ning), Mzyrn has a yellow light. We'll probably make more dungeons with a whole fricken rainbow. Anyway, if you walk into any of the lights, you can teleport to another through a place called the room of doors. This room allows you to fast travel from one light to another. This kinda substitutes for teleporting. Because /rp would suck for exploring. Imagine spending 2-3 hours searching for a lost temple, and someone just teleports to it? Exploration should be encouraged.

I'll post more later.
    [Head Builder] Light

Blog Entries
    @Blu3 This seems to be a really cool idea.
    But is this a separate RPG project, or do we wish to integrate this into GLD?

Because the whole Ardaan part seems like it would be hard to do if the spawn gets switched there... How do you make it repeatable for others later?

Otherwise it sounds like a really good frame for the story!

Want to test this signature out? I made it! Unique to GLD.
    It will automatically update when we make changes to it!

Add this to your sig:
    [ img]http://gld.bz/s/myusername[/img ]
    (Replace myusername with your username, and remove spaces in the [img ] tags!)

Feel free to use it anywhere else you may have a forum account!

It can only be Elsewb... Nomad
    Btw I could help it with some programming. I do have some experience with Java so if the regular Dev's are busy with a big project, I can fix up with the smaller bugs. I'm also learning C++ soon, but I don't meet the age requirement
    [img]http://gld.bz/s/Myst_Hawk[/img]
    http://prntscr.com/7x93h6
    http://prntscr.com/7x95b1

Thread Information