solid 6/10 i'd give it 9/10 but i wasn't even being ironic

take down thread or i ddos

I know this is a joke, but I just want to point out how some people act like DDoS is the end of the world, like they're going to kill the person who is being attacked. In reality, their internet is going down for a few minutes to a few hours. Big deal. People can live without internet for a few minutes. DDoSers are not some gangsters who are going to ruin your life. You should not even be afraid of threats...

Dom, they are the internet version of ISIS
    "Fluffeh you suck"

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffe View Post
    Dom, they are the internet version of ISIS
    pretty sure that the osrs community is the internet version of ISIS

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Dominick621 View Post
    I know this is a joke, but I just want to point out how some people act like DDoS is the end of the world, like they're going to kill the person who is being attacked. In reality, their internet is going down for a few minutes to a few hours. Big deal. People can live without internet for a few minutes. DDoSers are not some gangsters who are going to ruin your life. You should not even be afraid of threats...
    Yes and a few minutes to a few hours can make a huge difference when you work online and need the internet, or run a business that functions on the internet. Especially for a large company or website- a few hours can make all the difference in whether or not you might accrue a couple thousand more players or subscribers or even viewers. If your site is down, that looks bad for someone new to potentially stick around when their time or money could be better spent elsewhere as opposed to waiting for it to come back up.

Artists who do commission work online need the feedback from their commissioners to appropriately create what the commissioner has requested. And as an artist who does this, I know very thoroughly that once I get started, I do not want to be interrupted in my work, if even for a few minutes. Once the motivation to draw is gone, it's gone. And if I have to further explain that to you, you'll never understand.

Additionally, it's in the same strain as computer viruses- it's vandalizing someone else's property and violating their internal contract with an internet provider. They are paying for the internet service, and rightfully they should get it. People who deliberately disrupt other people's connection to the internet, or damage their computer via online viruses, are doing an illegal act of vandalism and ought to be punished appropriately when caught doing it.
    Last edited by ChairThief; 06-02-2015 at 12:22 PM.

"May I serve the order honourably."

Quote Originally Posted by ChairThief View Post
    Yes and a few minutes to a few hours can make a huge difference when you work online and need the internet, or run a business that functions on the internet. Especially for a large company or website- a few hours can make all the difference in whether or not you might accrue a couple thousand more players or subscribers or even viewers. If your site is down, that looks bad for someone new to potentially stick around when their time or money could be better spent elsewhere as opposed to waiting for it to come back up.

Artists who do commission work online need the feedback from their commissioners to appropriately create what the commissioner has requested. And as an artist who does this, I know very thoroughly that once I get started, I do not want to be interrupted in my work, if even for a few minutes. Once the motivation to draw is gone, it's gone. And if I have to further explain that to you, you'll never understand.

Additionally, it's in the same strain as computer viruses- it's vandalizing someone else's property and violating their internal contract with an internet provider. They are paying for the internet service, and rightfully they should get it. People who deliberately disrupt other people's connection to the internet, or damage their computer via online viruses, are doing an illegal act of vandalism and ought to be punished appropriately when caught doing it.
    I do agree with you that DDoSing is wrong, but you can't really compare a DDoS attack to computer viruses and it being a form of vandalizing.

The goal of a DDoS attack is to saturate someone's connection, and if you successfully saturate someone's connection, they won't be able to receive any packets, therefore they can't connect to websites.

A DDoS attack is pretty much a digital form of a demonstration. And the right to protest against stuff is a very important part of a democracy.

For example, if there was a bank that helped a lot of terrorists to wash money, and a few thousands people decided to protest outside their office. That would prevent people from entering their office, and they would lose money.

Sorry for shitty grammar

Thread Information